Written on April 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm , by Every Day with Rachael Ray Staff
Forget “Paper or Plastic?” As many cities begin banning plastic shopping bags, the new question is, “Recycled or canvas?” Mindful Momma blogger Micaela Preston set out to find a reusable bag for every type of shopper.
1. Best for on-the-fly types: BlueAvocado XO (eco) Hip Pod ($9.99, blueavocado.com). Made from recycled bottles, this lightweight bag rolls into an avocado-size pouch–ready to grab from your purse when you need to make an impromptu stop. Its cross-body strap keeps hands free on the move!
2. Best for Stylish bargain hunters: SnapSac Spring Splash Grocery Tote ($3.99, snapsac.com). This cheap tote holds a lot. The handles are sewn into the bottom for extra support, and fasteners dot the partially recycled fabric, so folding the bag up is a snap!
3. Best for one-stop shoppers: Pack-N-Tote Grocery Cart Helper Bag ($8.95, reuseit.com). Hate using boxes for oddly shaped warehouse-club goods? This superstrong polypropylene duffle clips onto carts for easy filling; a reinforced base makes it easy to load up to 40 pounds at once directly into your car.
4. Best for multitaskers: Ese CarryAll Tote ($35.95, essereusablebags.com). Meet your new (cute) workhorse! This tote holds three small sacks that expand into big ones, plus a shoulder bag–all made from recycled plastic. It even comes with two mesh bags for produce.
5. Best for divide-and-conquerors: Reisenthel Multi Cargo Bag ($24.95, reuseit.com). Trips to the big-box stores can leave you with an eclectic mix of items. This polyester sack’s eight compartments keep cleaning products and clothes separate from food. It’s expensive but versatile–repurpose it as a beach bag.
How cool (and hot!) is this? Rach’s Classic ChillOut Insulated Tote ($17.95, RachaelRayStore.com) prevents freezer-aisle foods from melting before you get home, plus it’ll keep potluck dishes warm en route.
Get more supermarket shopping tips here.
3 Responses to “Grocery Bags for the Eco-Friendly Grocer”