Written on December 20, 2013 at 9:00 am , by Lauren Katz
During the holidays, you can never have too many snacks. Put a sweet (cookies!) and savory (pretzel shape!) twist on your holiday sweets with this pretzel-shaped cookie. Talk about a treat we’d twist and shout for!
Brown Sugar Pretzels
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks and vanilla until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated.
3. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
4. Roll 1 1/2 tbsp. dough into a 10-inch rope. Pick up ends; cross them and fold them down to form a pretzel; transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Brush with beaten egg white; sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar. Chill 15 minutes.
6. Bake at 350 degrees until cookies are browned, about 15 minutes.
7. Cool cookies on rack; drizzle with melted chocolate.